Whenever I have made a list of my favorite WordPress plugins, Click to Tweet is always near the top of my list. With Click to Tweet you can use your own words to create a tweet for your readers to share. It’s a win/win: It’s easy for people to share, plus you, as the author, can say exactly what you want to be shared.
Unfortunately, since Click to Tweet is a WordPress plugin, bloggers who are not self-hosted and use WordPress.com, or who use Blogger, self-hosted or not, were unable to have access to this great tool.
I recently discovered though, that there is a way to create your own Click to Tweet without a plugin! Yes, it takes a little work, but once you have the hang of it, it will only take a few minutes. Then, whether or not you are self-hosted on WordPress, you will be able to customize your own Click to Tweet.
Create Your Own Click to Tweet in 10 Easy Steps
Simply follow these steps in order.
1. In your blog editor, write out the tweet that you would like to share. For Example:
Yes, you can create a Click to Tweet in Blogger or WordPress without a Plugin! #blogging
2. Go to ClicktoTweet.com and sign in with your Twitter account (you don’t have to log in, but if you do you can get analytics about your tweets).
3. Type your tweet in the text box. Add any relevant hashtags to your tweet.
4, For WordPress: Click on the “Get Shortlink” button and copy the shortlink to your post and paste it in the box. In Blogger, click Permalink and copy the permalink and paste it in the box.
5. To make sure that you know when your words are tweeted, add “via @[yourtwittername] after the short link.
6. Click “Generate New Link.”
7. Copy the link that appears on the next page.
8. In your blog editor, add the words “Click to Tweet” at the end of your tweet. I used red text to make the words more visible. You can also put them in brackets if you like: (Click to Tweet)
Yes, you can create a Click to Tweet in Blogger or WordPress without a Plugin! #blogging Click to Tweet
9. Highlight your entire tweet and create a link using the link that you copied on the Click to Tweet page. (You can just create the link out of the words Click to Tweet, but I prefer using the whole sentence to make it easier to click.) Make sure to have the tweet open in another page so your readers don’t leave your blog.
Voila! You’re done! Now when your readers click your tweet, they will share the words that you have chosen!
Make your Click to Tweet Stand Out
Here are a few ways that can help your Click to Tweet stand out from the rest of your text.
Place a horizontal line before and after your tweet.
Place your tweet within a table.
|Yes, you can create a Click to Tweet in Blogger or WordPress without a Plugin! #blogging Click to Tweet|
Bold the text of your tweet.
Or if you want to get really fancy, you can create an image. Tip: Create a template so that you can quickly reuse the image by changing the words. I created this using Picmonkey (<–affiliate link).
In your image settings, change your link to settings from media file to custom URL, then paste in the Click to Tweet link.
There you have it! Now it’s easy to create your personalized tweet without a plugin!
Do you use Click to Tweet? Do you use Blogger or WordPress.com? Do you think you’ll find this helpful? Feel free to ask any questions that you need clarified.
My weekly linkups! Please stop by and check out all of the great recipes, workouts, and information that all these awesome bloggers share every week!
Meatless Monday with Sarah and Deborah
Meatless Monday with Annmarie and Dixya
Tuesdays on the Run with Marcia, Erika, and Patty
Inspire Me Monday with Janice
Wild Workout Wednesday with Annmarie, Michelle, Jen, and Nicole
The Plant-Based Potluck Party with Deborah
The Running Coaches’ Corner with Rachel, Suz, Lora Marie, and Me!
Giveaway Roundup and Try Out Thursdays with Smitha
The Blogger’s Pit Stop with Kathleen, Janice, Julie, and Menaka
Friday 5 2.0 with Rachel and Lacey and Meranda
Sunday Fitness and Food with Angela and Ilka