I have been known to throw things around in the kitchen. By that I mean I scan my fridge and cupboards, get a glimmer of an idea, then create a meal by throwing things together. Sometimes it doesn’t work. Most of the time it does (I’m lucky like that). And sometimes I throw together something so delicious that I can’t wait to make it again. This spicy chipotle seitan is one of those.
Vegan Recipe: Spicy Chipotle Seitan with Avocado
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup chipotle seitan (I used Good Earth Chipotle seasoned strips. If you don't have that, cut seitan into strips and marinate in a chipotle sauce (like Tabasco Chipotle) for about 10 minutes).
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ cup zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados, halved
- Preheat oil over medium high heat.
- Add jalapenos and onion and cook until soft.
- Add seitan. Cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze lime over seitan mixture.
- Add tomato, zucchini, and corn. Stir for 2 minutes, then add salsa and about a ½ cup of water.
- Add beans and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for several minutes, until the liquid is reduced by about half. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over a half avocado and rice.
- Sprinkle a little cilantro over each serving.
To give the rice a little Mexican flair, I replace about a half cup of water with salsa. It’s easy and delicious.
Do you like to get creative in the kitchen? Are you a “lucky” cook? Or do your experiments not work out so well?