Well, if you follow me on Instagram, you may already know that the last few days have been a little out of the norm. I’ll tell the full tale tomorrow, but in a few words we had the worst rainstorm that I can remember here in the desert on Monday. Lots of flash floods, road closures, and some water damage and subsequent clean up at my home.
We’re okay, and to my knowledge no one was seriously injured, but Alan and I have been pretty busy cleaning up and drying out the last couple days. Today I finally have some time to present the recipe I promised earlier in the week.
I love bowls. Throw some rice or other grain, beans or other protein, some veggies, and just the right sauce or dressing together and you’ve got heaven in a bowl. Some of my previous bowl recipes include Gyro Spiced Seitan and Quinoa, Quinoa, Black Bean and Kale, and coming up next week, I have a Seitan and Rice Bowl with veggies and a creamy tarragon sauce.
This Southwest Chicken Bowl may be the best of the best though. Alan and I both agreed it was a keeper. Not only is it loaded with crisp veggies, I used Beyond Meat vegan chicken cooked with a spicy sauce, quinoa, and a creamy avocado dressing to top it all off.
Southwest Chicken Bowl with Beyond Meat, Quinoa and Spicy Avocado Dressing
- ½ package Beyond Meat vegan chicken or 4 ounces vegan chicken of your choice
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup prepared quinoa
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup orange or yellow pepper
- 1 handful mixed salad greens
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup corn
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oil over medium heat. Add the Beyond Meat and cook until lightly browned (about 5 minutes)
- Add the salsa and ½ cup water to the pan and reduce head to low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is reduced and the sauce is thick.
- In each bowl, spoon about ½ cup of the cooked quinoa.
- Add one thin layer of the mixed greens.
- Spoon the room temperature beans over the greens.
- Add the corn, tomato, onion, peppers, salsa, and cilantro.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add on top.
- Toss with the Avocado dressing.
- Avocado Dressing: Combine the avocado, lime juice, oil, and seasoning in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Slowly add water, a little at a time, until the dressing is creamy, but pourable.
One serving of this Southwest Chicken Bowl has about 35 grams of protein. The beans, quinoa, and vegan chicken are all great sources of protein, and combined offer all essential amino acids needed for a healthy diet. For more information about getting enough protein on a vegan diet, see my post, Where DO You Get Your Protein?