I’m so excited to share this creamy vegan butternut squash soup recipe with you! You know why? Because butternut squash + soup = FALL!!!
It’s been a long, hot summer here in the desert of California and all over the country really. And while it still may be over 100 degrees outside (yes, it is), I know that soon the temperatures will drop and cool temperatures will finally arrive. I have definitely earned that vegan butternut squash soup this year!
CalPure™ Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
I’m also excited to share CalPure™ Extra Virgin Avocado Oil with you. I admit, avocado lover that I am (I am from California, after all), I was a little late to the avocado oil party. When CalPure contacted me to ask if I would like to try out their Avocado Oil, I was ripe for the opportunity (so to speak).
CalPure™ Extra Virgin Avocado Oil launched earlier this year in 2016. It is made from grocery story quality Hass avocados that are grown, cold-pressed, and bottled in California. The cold-pressing allows the oil to keep its nutritional value, delicious scent and taste, and beautiful emerald green color.
Avocado oil is a healthy and delicious alternative to other cooking oils. It has a very high smoke point, which makes it great for frying, sautéing, and grilling.
CalPure™ Extra Virgin Avocado Oil has a delightfully nutty taste which makes it perfect for salads or dipping too. It is naturally gluten-free, sodium-free, and high in cholesterol-lowering beta-sitosterol.
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet Potato and Red Pepper
This soup is a variation on a recipe that I published a couple years ago. This time, I used the CalPure™ Extra Virgin Avocado Oil to saute the vegetables, which added a deliciously nutty flavor to the soup. I also wanted a soup that would stand up as a full meal, so I used white beans to add protein and some extra creaminess.
This soup is not only delicious and filling, the squash and sweet potato provide a subtle sweetness along with the power packed nutrition of potassium, vitamins A and B-6, and fiber. The red pepper adds a zesty bite to the soup along with its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- 2 tablespoons CalPure™ Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can white beans (cannellini, great northern, or other) drained and rinsed.
- ½ cup cashew milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- Heat the CalPure Extra Virgin Avocado Oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion and red pepper until the onion is soft (about 4 minutes)
- Add the garlic, ginger, squash, and sweet potato, and cook until fragrant, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the squash and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- If you use a blender:
- Blend the soup in two batches. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the squash and sweet potato into the blender. Pour ¼ cup of the cashew milk and about ½ cup of the broth into the blender (be careful, it is hot).
- Keep the center piece of the lid off and cover with a dish towel. Blend until smooth, adding more broth if necessary for a creamy texture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a saucepan and blend the other half of the soup.
- Add to the saucepan and reheat to a low boil.
- Garnish with parsley and crushed red pepper if desired.
- If using an immersion blender:
- Spoon the sweet potato/squash mixture into another pan using a slotted spoon. Add the cashew milk, 1 cup of broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding more broth if necessary.
- Serve as above.
Has your weather started to cool down yet? What is your favorite soup? Have you tried avocado oil? What’s your favorite way to use it?
This post contains affiliate links.
My weekly linkups! Please stop by and check out all of the great recipes, workouts, and information that all these awesome bloggers share every week!
Meatless Monday with Sarah and Deborah
Meatless Monday with Annmarie and Rachel
Inspire Me Monday with Janice
Anything Goes with Marilyn
Wild Workout Wednesday with Annmarie, Michelle, Jen, and Nicole
The Plant Based Potluck Party with Deborah
The Running Coaches’ Corner with Rachel, Suz, Lora Marie, and Me!
Giveaway Roundup and Try Out Thursdays with Smitha
The Blogger’s Pit Stop with Kathleen, Janice, Julie and Me!
Living a Life of Fitness, Health and Happiness with Jill
Friday Favorites with Heather