So for the first time ever, the Amgen Tour of California traveled through the desert cities of Palm Desert to Palm Sprngs on Monday. We greeted them in true desert style by having the hottest day ever on record for May 13. Depending on who you ask, it was anywhere from 108 to 114 here. One friend estimated 128 coming off the asphalt. Anyway you measure it, it was freaking hot.
I wasn’t able to get out there to see them. It was Alan’s birthday and he spent some of it hanging out on Highway 74 in Palm Desert waiting for “the boys.” Poor me, I was working. Of course, I was working in air conditioning, so it’s not all bad. If you can’t see the video above, that’s because it is an embed from a friend’s Facebook page and I think his privacy setting is “Friends of Friends.” So, if you really want to see the amazing finish, which was at the top of the Tram Road, a 2,500 foot climb over 3.6 miles, you’ll have to friend me. I actually have special memories of the place, it’s where Alan and I got married.
Strawberry Salad with Tofu Feta and Super Greens
As I mentioned, Monday was Alan’s birthday, so of course, he got to pick what he wanted for dinner. Cover your ears (or your eyes) no-carb people, because my man’s favorite dish is penne pasta with garlic and olive oil. And a salad. Since the pasta was pretty simple (I did throw in some sun dried tomatoes and parsley for color), I fancied up the salad a little with strawberries and tofu feta. Of course, if you’re not vegan you can just toss in some of the real stuff, but the vegan version came out pretty darn good. I used my Creamy Tarragon Dressing.
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Super Greens (I got mine from Trader Joes, a combo of kale, spinach and chard)
- ¼ cup yellow plum tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ avocado, chopped
- Creamy Tarragon Dressing
- Break the tofu into large chunks and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the tofu, using your hands to break it into smaller pieces (think feta-sized)
- Add the nutritional yeast and toss lightly to combine.
- Add enough water to cover the tofu feta.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes. One hour is even better, and overnight is the best yet.
- Combine the salad ingredients.
- Add the dressing and toss.
- Drain the tofu feta and sprinkle on the salad (I didn't use all of it for my salad, use as much as you like).
- Toss again lightly.
I made this as a side salad, but I’d love to try adding some quinoa and making it a meal.
Do you have a favorite summer salad? What is your favorite summer salad ingredient?