From the Coach: 10 Life Lessons from Running

After coaching high school cross country for 14 years, I saw many young people join the team as freshmen, just out of middle school, young, small, a little scared as they embarked on the journey that is high school. They didn’t know it, but joining the cross country team was one of the best, albeit one of the toughest, things they could do to help them succeed, not only in school, but in life.

From the Coach - life lessons from running

This is a quote from what I would tell the parents at our preseason meeting:

We know your kids are tired. They are under pressure. They have school all day, a lot of homework in the evening, and then we have them up at 5 am to run. Fortunately, running is a great stress reliever. They are with their friends and teammates. They are learning so many things: Being a team player, good sportsmanship, responsibility, and accountability. Running Cross Country will have an impact on the rest of their adult lives.

crosscountry2009127

There are many lessons that high school students will learn from running. Over the season, as they work hard, enjoy some successes, suffer some failures, push through their discomfort, they grow as human beings, mature into responsible young people who are well on their way to becoming successful adults.

These are lessons that we as adults can learn (or be reminded about) too. We just have to pay closer attention and let it happen.

Life Lessons from Running

Don’t Stop When Things Get Tough

When we are young (or immature) we tend to give up when things around us get hard. Running teaches us that the reward comes when we keep going even though it is difficult.

Achieving Your Goals Takes Hard Work

If you want to win the race, you have to put in all the preliminary mileage and training that is needed to get you in top condition. Likewise, if you want to graduate from college or run a successful business, you need to put in the work to accomplish your goal.

You’re Stronger Than You Think

With hard work, training, and dedication to your goals, you might surprise yourself with what you can accomplish.

Everything is Mental

Running teaches you that your mind is your best tool. It can get you through those times when you feel like your legs can’t carry you one more inch.

You Do “Have the Time”

If you want something badly enough, you will find the time.

Working as a Team Will Lead to Success

While running is generally thought of as an individual sport, success in cross country and even marathon racing comes from working as a team.

If You Wait for “Perfect” You’ll Never Accomplish Anything

Whether it is perfect weather, race course, or time of the year, if you sit around waiting for it you won’t go anywhere.

You Define You

You get to choose the person you want to be. Not your parents, your teachers, your friends, your spouse, not even your coach. You can choose to push yourself to success, or to stay where you are.

Just Because You Lose Doesn’t Mean You’re a Loser

In running, most people don’t win. Yet they still strive to improve, work hard to achieve their goals, and challenge themselves to accomplish more. That sounds the the definition of a winner.

There are No Shortcuts, Hacks, or Tricks

To succeed in running, you have to put in the work. It is as simple as that.

What life lessons have you learned from running?

photo Signature_zps65e035a8.png

Need a coach to help you reach your running goals?

LogoI am an RRCA certified running coach and I also hold a Level One USATF certification. I have more than 12 years experience coaching runners of all ages and levels. More information...

Comments

1. says

These are all such great lessons – especially the one about making time and shortcuts. These tidbits are one reason I think it’s so important for kids to be involved in athletics!
    Laura recently posted…Change Is Good + WIAWMy Profile

• says

I really think that athletics are one of best things a kid can do in school, even if they’re not particularly talented at anything. The nice thing about cross country is that everybody gets to run, from the fastest to those that can barely make the three miles. So everybody gets the benefit of these life lessons.
      Debbie Woodruff recently posted…From the Coach: 10 Life Lessons from RunningMy Profile

2. says

LOVE this Debbie!! I ran cross country in high school and I really think it made a huge impact on my life!
    Gillian Clow recently posted…toning it up.My Profile

• says

I think that just generally being involved in sports is good for young people, cross country, even more than track, offers a lot more that will benefit them as they become adults. Especially here in the desert, where all summer long they get up every day at 5 am and run for a couple hours, even when the temperatures get above 110! That’s got to take some dedication.

3. says

what a great story about one of your former runners. I’m actually going to start coaching this fall – I’ll be the head XC coach at a community college and I’m so excited for it. Do your runners practice in the AM AND PM or just the AM? I’m trying to figure out a good practice time.
    I ran XC all through HS as well and can attest to all of these. Some days I really hated it, and every season would vow I’d quit the next year, but I always came back. I have some great memories from HS XC and still continue running to this day!
    Patty @ Reach Your Peak recently posted…Runner’s WishlistMy Profile

• says

It is so true about hating it sometimes, yet still coming back. That’s where we learn our life lessons.

I’m so excited for you that you will be coaching! It is so rewarding!

Because we live in the desert, where it soon will be up to 110 or more in the midday, we have a lot of morning practices. And because I’m a walk on coach who has weird hours, the schedule reflects that. I have to work at 5:30 am on Mon, Thur, & Friday, so we practice at 5 in the afternoon. Tues, Wed, and Sat, we will practice in the morning, usually at 5:30. The afternoon practice is hard but necessary any way because in September when our meets start, the temperatures will still be over 105.

Good luck with your coaching! If I can be of assistance, let me know.

4. says

Great post Debbie! Love how the bonds are kept after they are gone! Me, I have learned it never gets easier & it always challenges me even if I am not as fast as I was 5 years ago! 😉
    Jody – Fit at 56 recently posted…Please Stop the Cardio BashingMy Profile

5. says

Love this post! I always tell people how much I learned from high school cross country and still learn from running today. I think the adult lesson that I learned that would have helped my high school self is that they don’t pay you to do this so you may as well have fun. I smile and enjoy all of my races. Also, one bad race does not make a bad runner. And, you will have another chance to do better.

Thank you for sharing this post and lessons!

6. says

As a parent, I have so much appreciation for the value of participating in sports. These are great lessons that really will stick with you. My son was lucky to have really good coaches who focused on the big picture and life lessons on the field and off.
    Coco recently posted…Five Reasons I Love Strength TrainingMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] From the Coach: 10 Life Lessons from Running Debbie is preparing for her 14th season coaching high school cross country. Here, she shares 10 life lessons that high school students will learn from running. I wish that I had learned these lessons at an earlier age. I’m still learning them now. […]

2. […] From the Coach: 10 Life Lessons from Running via Live from La Quinta because the more years I run, the more I realize it’s not just about running. […]