#Vegan Recipe: Seitan Curry

Sometimes a delicious meal just comes together perfectly. Without planning, with simply the ingredients that are in the cupboard (or fridge). Such was the case with this Seitan Curry. Alan and I were discussing dinner the other night and he requested curry. After taking a quick tally of what I had on hand, here are the potential ingredients:

Seitan (1 package) You can also use tofu or vegan “chicken”
Potato (1 cubed)
Carrots (1 cubed)
Onion (1/4 cup)
Garlic (1 clove, minced)
Curry Powder (1 tablespoon)
Coconut Oil (2 tablespoons)
Vegetable Broth (1 cup)
Almond Milk (Unsweetened, 1/2 cup)
Flour (1/4 cup)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
Avocado (optional, but it tastes great with a spicy curry)
Rice
Other curry condiments (raisins, chutney)

Okay, those will work. Let’s put it all together.

Heat the coconut oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add the seitan and potatoes and cook until slightly browned. Add the curry powder, stir, then add the flour. Add the vegetable broth and almond milk. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Add the carrots, bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer until sauce is thick and carrots and potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes.

Serve over rice, with avocado and other condiments. Enjoy.

photo Signature_zps65e035a8.png

Need a coach to help you reach your running goals?

LogoI am an RRCA certified running coach and I also hold a Level One USATF certification. I have more than 12 years experience coaching runners of all ages and levels. More information...

Comments

• says

Most of my meals are the toss together kind (not much of a planner :-p). They seem to take longer than 20 minutes though. I need to work on that.
      Debbie recently posted…#Vegan Recipe: Seitan CurryMy Profile

1. says

no way! this looks awesome! id definitely put the raisins in there for a little added punch! happy friday!!! xo

• says

Raisins are great with curry. My husband loves them cooked in, but I usually serve them on the side (cause I think he likes them a little more than I do :-))
      Debbie recently posted…#Vegan Recipe: Seitan CurryMy Profile

2. says

I’m absolutely in love with Curry Powder. Can’t wait to make this…just need coconut oil! (I’ve never used it.)

• says

This was the first time I used coconut oil. I usually don’t even think about it, but I didn’t have any coconut milk on hand. It worked great, just gave it a very light coconut flavor.
      Debbie recently posted…#Vegan Recipe: Seitan CurryMy Profile

• says

The avocado idea came from an old recipe I had for curry stuffed avocados. Back when I was eating meat, I’d make it with shrimp or chicken. I found I just loved the flavor of avocado with the curry.
      Debbie recently posted…#Vegan Recipe: Seitan CurryMy Profile

3. says

I love a good curry! Debbie, you have this particular ability to make me feel hungry – even at the wrong time of day, and even when I’m already eating.
    Kate recently posted…Choose your own adventureMy Profile