Wednesday Workout: Back to the Gym

After many weeks of offering functional, core-strengthening, do-anywhere workouts that use little or no equipment, you might to ask yourself, “can I get that kind of a workout in the gym?” Lately, with crossfit, bootcamp, and other gym-free and outdoorsy workouts being all the rage, the idea of working out in a gym has come to sound almost old school. Well, today we’re going back to the gym for a super functional workout that is fast, fun, and will work all your major muscle groups, especially your core.

Because our time is so valuable, this workout will be done circuit style. However, if you’re in a busy gym and the odds of moving smoothly through a circuit workout are slim to none, feel free to change it up and do your sets of each exercise at one time with about 45 seconds between. Then move on to the next exercise.

Now, you may notice that even though we’re back in the gym I didn’t use a whole lot of machines, or even many weights. That’s because I really like workouts that use your body weight when possible. I also like dumbbells, because they make you work unilaterally, give you a wider range of motion than machines, and require you to use additional muscles to stabilize when performing many exercises. The cable machine has similar benefits, and allows you to perform functional movements that mimic day-to-day activities.

Do you work out in a gym? What is your favorite gym exercise?

photo Signature_zps65e035a8.png

Need a coach to help you reach your running goals?

LogoI am an RRCA certified running coach and I also hold a Level One USATF certification. I have more than 12 years experience coaching runners of all ages and levels. More information...

Comments

1. says

Great one! Body weight exercises are really good. I need to do more of them. Funny timing of this post – I headed into the gym today and got a PT session in functional movement. The concept is newish to me, and it’s fantastic!
    Kate recently posted…5 ways to get the most out of your gym sessionMy Profile

2. says

I am very blessed to be able to have a full home gym for free at the home of the children that I am a nanny for! It’s so awesome. I’m not a fan of machines in a gym tho for sure bc I get bored!! Treadmills are the worst, but I love running outside! In the gym i prefer to do weights or the elliptical for a machine!

• says

You’re lucky to have free access to a gym! Of course, I do too, because I work at one, but sometimes it’s kind of awkward because I’m the director (which is why I do it after we close like I did yesterday). I don’t much care for the cardio machines except in (running) emergencies. And as you see by the workout I designed, I don’t have much use for the standard machines in the gym.
      Debbie recently posted…23 Paws: Pet Stories Link Up. I Just Found Out!My Profile

3. says

Thanks for the workout…I pinned it! And I like body weight exercises too! When I go to the gym it’s mostly to use the treadmill because I can’t run outside due to weather, heat, etc. But I DO want to start utilizing my gym more so I am thankful you posted this workout! :-)
    Mindy @Road Runner Girl recently posted…#Plankaday PR and Support!My Profile

4. buy youtube likes and comments says

They have a lot of Coloreds down there (
    Colored-from the young & the dumb ). With your blogs
    you can also have a subscriber-box in place.
    Ideally you would shoot on a dedicated camera or video
    camera for a much higher quality end product.
    buy youtube likes and comments recently posted…buy youtube likes and commentsMy Profile

5. Nadine says

Usuallpy I don’t read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me tto checkk out and do so!
    Your writing style haas been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.
    Nadine recently posted…NadineMy Profile

6. male enlargement pump says

Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Many thanks for supplying these
    details.
    male enlargement pump recently posted…male enlargement pumpMy Profile